Sunday, January 22, 2012

It's a New Year!

Welcome to our new blog!

You'll be seeing sort of a mishmash of different things posted here.  We'll have some personal posts about our family, including some of our adventures (or misadventures!), as well as some helpful information for traveling with babies and toddlers, product safety recalls, local event info, new recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics, and more.  We'll also highlight some of our local gems, such as restaurants, favorite places to stay, and attractions.

Let me start off by telling you a little about our family, and how we became the owners of VisitingBaby, Inc.  My husband and I got married on the island of St. Lucia in 2004.  We have 2 children, Kaleb (5) and Kelby (3 yrs 11 mos).  While my husband grew up in Arkansas, I grew up right here in the Sunshine State, with Clearwater Beach practically in my back yard.  I spent my entire childhood on the same stomping grounds that most of you are visiting when you come to Florida.

Since our first child was just 5 months old, we have done a fair amount of travelling with our children.  Every vacation seemed to start out with a 2 page checklist, with the first page being devoted entirely to packing baby and toddler gear.  Needless to say, it was exhausting just getting ready for the vacation!

And then about 4 years ago I met Terri through my mom's club.  She and her husband were the owners of a baby equipment rental service.  Although it wasn't my own light bulb moment, it hit me that this was a brilliant concept (and then later of course, "why didn't we think of that???").  After spending several years as a stay at home mom, I was really chomping at the bit to get back into the workforce.  But I just couldn't figure out how I was going to balance work and my children's schedule.

Then came my light bulb moment.  Terri and her husband were selling their business.  Once I talked it over with my husband, we contacted them.  Approximately 2 months from that first meeting, we were the proud new owners of VisitingBaby, Inc.  It could not have been more perfect, or more just, right.  We had everything we could have ever wanted.  Not just a business of our own, but a concept we could relate to, and felt deeply passionate about.

So that's our story, how it all began.  I hope you'll go with us on this new journey, for many more years to come!




2 comments: